Popular amongst kids and adults alike, this Upside-Down Pineapple Mini Cakes recipe is as delicious as it is pretty.
Prep time: 20 minutes / Cook time: 15-20 minutes / Serves: 10
Honestly, who doesn't love a cupcake? They're cute, fluffy and they fill a sugar-crave void in a couple of bites. The only downside is that they're usually packed full of nasty sugar. That means that as soon as your cravings are met, you're soon met with a big sugar crash. Not ideal.
That's why we decided to put together this totally delicious and absolutely satisfying Pretty Pineapple Upside Down Cupcake recipe. Not only are these cupcakes pretty as a picture and the perfect afternoon snack, but they're also naturally sugar free!
The Good Stuff
These Pretty Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes are sugar free, but you'd never know it! Here are some of the other benefits of these delightful bites:
- Eggs: Eggs are an egg-cellent (sorry, we couldn't help ourselves!) source of selenium, vitamins such as vitamin D and B12 and minerals like zinc and iron. Eggs also add protein to these cupcakes which makes them a little more substantial.
- Nexba Pineapple Probiotic Soda: As the name would suggest, Nexba Probiotic Sodas are loaded with probiotics that help keep our guts happy.
- Pineapple: What could be more tropical than a pineapple? Pineapples are a rich source of nutrients and antioxidants. They contain enzymes that help with our digestion (which supports our gut health) and has even been suggested to help with boosting immunity.
- 3 large eggs (room temp), whisked
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/2 cup Nexba Pineapple Probiotic Soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 10-12 pineapple rings
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease a muffin tray (makes approx. 10 muffins).
- Firstly, whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add rice malt syrup and vanilla, mix until well combined. Stir through Nexba Probiotic Pineapple Soda.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients, mix well. Set aside. Gradually add to the wet mixture, mix and set aside.
- To prepare the topping, melt butter over low-medium heat. Remove from heat and add the rice malt syrup, vanilla and salt. Mix well.
- Optional step: Lightly pan fry pineapple rings in the butter sauce for 5-10 minutes (this will help the pineapples to caramelize).
- Spoon the topping mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin (approx. 1 tbsp per muffin). Then place a pineapple ring on top, followed by an additional coating of the butter glaze (or if you have completed the above step, spoon the caramelized pineapples directly into the muffin tin).
- Spoon the cake batter on top of the pineapple rings, distributing evenly between muffins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from muffin try.
- Serve with coconut yoghurt and edible flowers!
Another delicious recipe to try are these amazing mango chia puddings.