These pancakes are so incredibly delicious. I know everyone has a pancake recipe, but this uses the richness of the labna to make incredibly light and fluffy pancakes, while the lemon balances out the sweetness. These pancakes taste like a warm hug and are best enjoyed on a slow sunday morning alongside a big cup of coffee!
- 2 tbsp sugar of choice (I like brown or coconut for the deep flavour)
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1-2 tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 300g homemade labna
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- ½ cup roasted and salted mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp melted butter or ghee
- Raspberry chia jam and maple syrup to serve
1. Place the sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and soda, and 1 tsp of salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, then squeeze the lemon juice over the top; this will help to activate the leavening agents by creating bubbles, making your pancakes light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, labna, milk, vanilla bean paste and zest and mix on medium speed until just combined.
3. Leave the mixture to sit for at least 5-10 minutes to allow the air bubbles to form, and get started on your jam (see recipe below).
4. While your jam simmers, warm up a skillet or frying pan over a medium heat; you need to get the heat right otherwise you will end up with either burnt or flat pancakes. Brush lightly with some butter or ghee, and use a ¼ cup to dollop mixture into the pan. Wait until air bubbles start to form on the surface before flipping the pancakes and cook for a further 30-60 seconds or until golden on both sides.
5. Meanwhile, heat a small fry pan or skillet over medium heat and add in your roasted nuts; you just want to warm your nuts up here so make sure they are pre roasted! Add your cinnamon, butter and honey and cook, stirring continuously until all of the water has evaporated. Remove from the heat, add a pinch of salt and set aside to cool. After about 5 minutes you should be left with gooey praline nuts that you can then cut into chunks!
6. To serve, stack your pancakes up, top with your jam and baklava nuts, and drizzle a generous amount of maple syrup on top!